As 2013 comes to a close, so does this blog. I’m moving on to other things and won’t be able to keep up with “warm cookies”. Before I go, I’d like to end 2013 on a good note and do as many others have done … RECAP! Oh yeah, this is one of those “me, me, me” posts. ha ha ha
Let’s start with a photo taken recently:
And now the recap …
- I began the year by taking a tumble down the garage steps. Obviously I lived to tell about it, and nary a bone was broken.
- February saw the installation of a fantastic new stove in our house!
- March brought 5-6 inches of snow that lasted for a few days. We also took a drive on an old logging road and I was sure we’d never see civilization again. The biggest highlight was the birth of our great-nephew.
- In April I discovered that deer will rise up on their hind legs to eat pansies off my porch rail (a good 6 feet off the ground). I also walked our local bridge and took some grand photos. Best of all, I joined a Ladies Bible Study.
- May brought wonderful health news and a great walk at the lighthouse.
- June was celebrated with my retirement from a volunteer position. Hurray! We also enjoyed a hike at Cape Perpetua.
- In July I was able to photograph one of our local deer, up close and almost personal. The next day she mowed down my geraniums. Was she thanking me for invading her privacy, or warning me to leave her alone? No matter, my flowers were gone.
- Quilts and wooden boats were in abundance in August, although not at the same time or place. haha I also became a Beatles Song.
- September brought us 3 great storms in 2 days with around 5 inches of rain. Who knew that would be the last good rain for this season? Hopefully we’ll see more in 2014.
- Hubby and I celebrated 39 years together in October! I also began my great clean out and earned a new sewing machine in the process.
- November was busy with friends and I baked a lot of cakes for various events. I also began a new exercise program, and while I’m not always faithful on a daily basis, I feel better when I get to it.
- December has been grand with Christmas, friends, more baking and some excellent health news for us both (this health stuff becomes more important once you become a Beatles song). har har
Throughout the year hubby and I watched a bucket load of movies that ran the gamut of good, bad and horrid (you thought I’d say ugly, didn’t you? haha). I read books—not as many as last year, but still enjoyed some good reading time. If you’re curious, my book recap is here.
Out of all that happened in 2013, the best was celebrating 35 years as a Christian. On December 24, 1978, I sat in a hard ol’ wooden seat in the back of a little church and understood for the first time that I was sinner, lost and bound for hell (Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” and Romans 6:23a “For the wages of sin is death…”). With that came the glorious understanding that God had provided a gift—for me! (Romans 6:23b “…but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” and Romans 5:8, “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”) I bowed my head, confessed my sins to God and accepted Christ as my Savior. (Romans 10:13 “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” and Romans 10:9,10 “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”)
My life has never been the same. I still stumble and fall, I mess up, I say and do things I shouldn’t, fail to say and do things that I should, I’m not always happy with the path that I’m on … but my salvation is sure and God is always there with me—loving me, prodding me to straighten up and fly right, comforting me, encouraging me, and holding me in the palm of His hand.
What a grand year it has been! My prayer is that each and every one of you will have 2 birthdays to celebrate.